İstanbul: Cops stormed Taksim on June 11th

Announcement by the Revolutionary Anarchist Action
(Devrimci Anarşist Faaliyet, DAF):

Against the State and police terror: Our rage is growing, so does our struggle!

The ongoing occupation of Taksim Square and Gezi Park was attacked by the police this morning (June 11th, 2013). After the meeting of the council of ministers yesterday, the police came to the square early in the morning, at about 7 o’ clock, and while shooting tear gas the repression forces made announcements that they are not going to attack the park. Hundreds of police officers entered Taksim Square pleading that there will be no attack to the park and saying that only banners will be removed. While the banners on the Atatürk Cultural Centre were moved away, another group of police wanted to remove the tents in the square. People tried to stop this, and police attacked the protesters with tear gas.

While the police attack was underway, many people started to come to the square against this fascist attack. To prevent people from coming, the police fired tear gas into the subway, and Taksim metro station was closed for transportation.

The police used heavy tear gas, sound bombs (stun grenades) and plastic bullets while spraying pressured water with water cannons. A group of the resisters made a peoples’ chain standing arm in arm, and the police shot tear gas canisters from a short distance. Many people got injured by gas canisters, but after the effect of tear gas went off, many protesters came together and made the chain again.

Although the police announced that there will be ‘no intervention’ to the park, they heavily fired tear gas in the park, even to the infirmary inside; the injured ones were carried from the area.

Many people were wounded by tear gas canisters and plastic bullets. Alp Altinörs, who is a member of Taksim Solidarity Initiative, was hit by a plastic bullet on his forehead and was evacuated with an ambulance to the hospital. It is known that the police are targeting straight at people while shooting.

On the other hand, the police began to raid political spaces and offices. The bureau of SDP (Socialist Democracy Party) was raided and many people were taken into custody by force. The police handcuffed resisters and brutally beat them while they were detained.

Despite the harsh attack, people at Taksim Square and in Gezi Park continue to resist. The fascist state, oppression and police terror cannot discourage us, our struggle is going on, our rage is growing, so does our struggle.

Everywhere is İstanbul; everywhere is resistance against state terrorism, police violence and capitalist exploitation.


One thought on “İstanbul: Cops stormed Taksim on June 11th”

Comments are closed.